Pin It
Inspiring Leadership via Social Media

The 4 Personality Types: Understanding The Controller

Of the 4 personality types, Controller personality types tend to be results oriented and have less concern for the personal needs of other people.

Mentality of the Controller Personality Type

leadership-personality-types-4-personality-types-understanding-the-controllerAlthough they can be very caring, they tend not to openly show how they feel and are often accused of not caring and being insensitive to the needs of others, caring instead about their job and completing the task. They simply operate form a “let’s get the job done” mentality, feelings will come and go.

They come from a place where how we are feeling too often gets in the way of getting the job done. Getting it done is a higher priority than how a person is feeling in the moment. Thus they may appear to be independent, completive, reserved and even aloof in their relationships with others.

Behavior of the Controller Personality Type

The controller leadership personality type characterizes a person who tends to be directive and make things happen. Controllers may be assertive or even aggressive at moving towards goals.

Unfortunately, since the controller tends to not feel the need to express personal motives or feelings, their goals may not be clearly identified by other people.

The controller is interested in getting things done efficiently, and personal and group productivity is of high importance.

The controller will tend to judge others by his or her own personal interactive style and will often expect others to operate in the same style.

Controller Personality Type in a Group Setting

Though group decisions or meetings may be important within the organization, Controllers would prefer to work alone because they often perceive other people as moving too slowly and interfering with his/her ability to get things done.

Controller are often perceived as people who exercise power and control over their environment, both in terms of the people involved and the physical surroundings. However a controller can appear very pleasant and warm, but usually on their terms.

Click here to learn how to work most effectively with controller personality types.

0 comments
4 comments
LeeSunBrotcg
LeeSunBrotcg

really great, I was in surrounded with negative people around now, was really sad people having such mindset ...thanks for sharing this

gregsallin
gregsallin

Well said Paul. I grew up the same way and it's really hard to get over that conditioning especially since most of the people we associate thing the same way. Gotta break that!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@LeeSunBrotcg you're welcome Lee! Sounds like you've made a transformation and surrounded yourself with people who have an abundance mentality, that's awesome! Feel free to subscribe via the leadership survey above and we'll keep in touch.

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@gregsallin I absolutely agree Greg! For those who desire more in life, I love being a causal agent for that change :)

1. gregsallin says:

Well said Paul. I grew up the same way and it’s really hard to get over that conditioning especially since most of the people we associate thing the same way. Gotta break that!

2. Paul K. says:

3. LeeSunBrotcg says:

4. Paul K. says:

LeeSunBrotcg you’re welcome Lee! Sounds like you’ve made a transformation and surrounded yourself with people who have an abundance mentality, that’s awesome! Feel free to subscribe via the leadership survey above and we’ll keep in touch.

4 comments
gregsallin
gregsallin

Wow Paul. That was me! Jumping from one shiny object to the next, searching for the next skill set and still feeling like "there has to be more". Everyday I'm blown away with what you the rest of the team contribute to my success. This article is badass, I had to read it twice! Thanks... you are the man!

uluwehiokaaina
uluwehiokaaina

That was a fully loaded lesson on leadership mindset!  Whoa.  I think I might have to read that one again...

1. uluwehiokaaina says:

2. uluwehiokaaina says:

3. gregsallin says:

Wow Paul. That was me! Jumping from one shiny object to the next, searching for the next skill set and still feeling like “there has to be more”. Everyday I’m blown away with what you the rest of the team contribute to my success. This article is badass, I had to read it twice! Thanks… you are the man!

4. gregsallin says:

5. Paul Woolley says:

gregsallin thanks Greg, I appreciate you brother!

13 comments
samjohnson2009
samjohnson2009

Can Analyst/Supporter become more promoter/controller ?

anyone changed their personality to be more promoter who was not

mylittleSeacret
mylittleSeacret

Love the info on the promoter personality type- keep getting distracted by all the features on your blog- love it!!

CarmenHappyMe

Wow, you have some great info about the promoter personality type here Paul. These are things people pay a fortune to learn in conferences!!

skuwaye
skuwaye

I am thinking of who I know that might fit the Promoter Personality Type.....

breydanblog
breydanblog

crucial info on promoter personality type..good stuff wooley!

rkakuda

Great information on how to agree and disagree with a Promotion Personality type!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@samjohnson2009 Great question Sam. To answer your question, yes. The purpose of the leadership style quiz and follow ups you'll be receiving over the next few weeks is to allow others to be aware of different personality types and how we operate and communicate with ourselves and other human beings. We all have a dominant type that has its strengths and weaknesses, however we are all capable of change and adopting characteristics of any of these types.

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@mylittleSeacret LOL Sara! One of the qualities of a Promoter personality type is that they are incredibly creative, hence also easily distracted by creativity (shiny object syndrome) :)

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@CarmenHappyMe thanks Carmen! I only hope that others will find this information as valuable as I have!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@breydanblog Thanks Breydan! I'm hoping this helps people with selling and helping different people break through their obstacles!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@rkakuda Thanks Ray! Its a fun to look around and see all the different types surrounding us and then I look at myself and laugh too!

1. rkakuda says:

2. rkakuda says:

3. breydanblog says:

crucial info on promoter personality type..good stuff wooley!

4. skuwaye says:

I am thinking of who I know that might fit the Promoter Personality Type…..

5. skuwaye says:

I am thinking of who I know that might fit the Promoter Personality Type…..

6. CarmenHappyMe says:

7. mylittleSeacret says:

8. mylittleSeacret says:

9. samjohnson2009 says:

Can Analyst/Supporter become more promoter/controller ?
    anyone changed their personality to be more promoter who was not

10. Paul K. says:

samjohnson2009 Great question Sam. To answer your question, yes. The purpose of the leadership style quiz and follow ups you’ll be receiving over the next few weeks is to allow others to be aware of different personality types and how we operate and communicate with ourselves and other human beings. We all have a dominant type that has its strengths and weaknesses, however we are all capable of change and adopting characteristics of any of these types.

0 comments
12 comments
breydanblog
breydanblog

interesting post on these four personality types..

skuwaye
skuwaye

I have enjoyed reading and learning about the four personality types.  I am think I know what type I maybe.

CarmenHappyMe

Hmmm. these four personality types are so interesting. Not only in understanding myself but others around me.

RDC4
RDC4

Great post which helped me to take a better look at the different and important points of Personality Types.

rkakuda

Your write up on The Four Personality Types is an eye opener and allowed me to take a deeper look into myself and analyze which ones apply to me and those I associate with.

Vitalis Okoth
Vitalis Okoth

Wow... I think as an avid Arsenal support, I am sold to the club and if I were to lead the club, this would be the strongest type of leadership that I would exhibit in the Four Personality Types that you have discussed.

Also in a relationship, one of the partners could be doing the supporting role, I suppose like being a husband or a dad (as in child birth for example)...

Yes, its not quite linear when it comes to personalities... But there is always an exception, like there is James that supports Arsenal... the guys has tattooed himself Arsenal and  wears, speaks and dreams Arsenal....

1. Vitalis Okoth says:

Wow… I think as an avid Arsenal support, I am sold to the club and if I were to lead the club, this would be the strongest type of leadership that I would exhibit in the Four Personality Types that you have discussed.
    Yes, its not quite linear when it comes to personalities… But there is always an exception, like there is James that supports Arsenal… the guys has tattooed himself Arsenal and  wears, speaks and dreams Arsenal….

2. rkakuda says:

3. RDC4 says:

4. CarmenHappyMe says:

5. skuwaye says:

6. breydanblog says:

interesting post on these four personality types..

12 comments
rkakuda

Leadership personality types is such an interesting subject!  I think I am a combination of a couple of them...

JonathanDavid
JonathanDavid

Leadership Personality types are a key factor in understanding how to focus your efforts. Great Post and we can all learn from this!

CarmenHappyMe

I truly love your series on leadership personality types. very interesting!!

AintDoneYetYoBz
AintDoneYetYoBz

Leadership Personality Types is a topic everybody should learn about

AintDoneYetYoBz
AintDoneYetYoBz

These series are awesome! Personalities amaze me. Thanks for sharing. Excellent post

Vitalis Okoth
Vitalis Okoth

Leadership Personality Types

There is always an analyst in a group that would like to follow facts... Like a pilot or a scientist... I experience this in my coaching. Even at an early age, you can see this trend. My wife is a teacher at a kindergarten/nursery school level and its fascinating observing leadership among a group of children. As William Golding writes in his book the Lord of the Flies, “We did everything adults would do. What went wrong?”  and “If faces were different when lit from above or below -- what was a face? What was anything?” ...

I really like this article Paul, I look forward to more from you....  I think there is analyst in me, when I go shopping for instant, I get overwhelmed with the choices in the supermarket... I end buying far too much in the end or nothing at all...

1. Vitalis Okoth says:

Leadership Personality Types
    There is always an analyst in a group that would like to follow facts… Like a pilot or a scientist… I experience this in my coaching. Even at an early age, you can see this trend. My wife is a teacher at a kindergarten/nursery school level and its fascinating observing leadership among a group of children. As William Golding writes in his book the Lord of the Flies, “We did everything adults would do. What went wrong?”  and “If faces were different when lit from above or below — what was a face? What was anything?” …I really like this article Paul, I look forward to more from you….  I think there is analyst in me, when I go shopping for instant, I get overwhelmed with the choices in the supermarket… I end buying far too much in the end or nothing at all…

• Paul Woolley says:

Vitalis Okoth Awesome quotes and awesome interpretation Vitalis! That’s cool that you identified one of your personality types and where it shows up. LOL at getting overwhelmed in the supermarket, I think that happens to many people.

• Paul Woolley says:

2. AintDoneYetYoBz says:

3. AintDoneYetYoBz says:

Leadership Personality Types is a topic everybody should learn about

4. CarmenHappyMe says:

I truly love your series on leadership personality types. very interesting!!

5. JonathanDavid says:

6. rkakuda says:

11 comments
CarmenHappyMe

I've been checking out these 4 personality types in your series Paul and I think I may have a lot of the promoter... hmmm. interesting.

Vitalis Okoth
Vitalis Okoth

Well written piece on promoters on the 4 Personality Types... People in politics seem to suite this to a T...

AintDoneYetYoBz
AintDoneYetYoBz

The 4 Personality Types! in love with the series waiting for the next one! love

skuwaye
skuwaye

Looking forward for the test on the 4 personality types.

rkakuda

The 4 Personality Types is such an interesting read!  I am assessing which one(s) I fit best.  Great topic!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@rkakuda thanks Ray! I'll be posting the last 2 today as well as an assessment on how to figure out what your dominant leadership personality type :)

1. rkakuda says:

2. skuwaye says:

Looking forward for the test on the 4 personality types.

3. AintDoneYetYoBz says:

The 4 Personality Types! in love with the series waiting for the next one! love

4. Vitalis Okoth says:

Well written piece on promoters on the 4 Personality Types… People in politics seem to suite this to a T…

5. Vitalis Okoth says:

6. CarmenHappyMe says:

I’ve been checking out these 4 personality types in your series Paul and I think I may have a lot of the promoter… hmmm. interesting.

7. CarmenHappyMe says:

6 comments
AintDoneYetYoBz
AintDoneYetYoBz

Leadership Personality Types is something that fascinates me. The power of possibilities and choices! I wonder is personalities are dynamic, or static.

Bionic
Bionic

knowing which personality you are talking to gives you the upper hadn in any negotiation.. great job on explaining the leadership personality types, Paul

skuwaye
skuwaye

Leadership personality types are unique to an individual.  I want to know the other 3 besides Controller.

Vitalis Okoth
Vitalis Okoth

Each human being has their niche that they can lead, it just depends on their  style with a range of 4 Leadership Personality Types...

CarmenHappyMe

I am learning about the leadership personality types through a speaking engagement that I have agreed to participate in. This is very interesting, looking forward to reading your whole series!

rkakuda

As a leader it is important to understand the different leadership personality types.  Thanks for posting!

1. rkakuda says:

2. rkakuda says:

3. CarmenHappyMe says:

4. CarmenHappyMe says:

5. Vitalis Okoth says:

6. skuwaye says:

7. EricEtka says:

8. EricEtka says:

9. AintDoneYetYoBz says:

10. AintDoneYetYoBz says:

8 comments
AintDoneYetYoBz
AintDoneYetYoBz

Personal Responsibility! Affirmations become the next fact if you believe! You are talented brother!

rkakuda

I love the poem on Personal Responsibility!  Time to rise up and take personal responsibility more seriously.

CarmenHappyMe

cool way of taking about something that really serious... Personal responsibility is a to be taken seriously. Often taken for granted, that's why leaders stand out.

breydanblog
breydanblog

True dat!! personal responsibilty is in every GREAT LEADER! damn i think i might need to make me one of these Personal Responsibility poems to...

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@rkakuda I definitely agree with that one, time to rise up!

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@CarmenHappyMe so true that often personal responsibility is taken for granted, however this poem serves as a great reminder.

Paul K..
Paul K.. moderator

@breydanblog yup Breydan looking closely, personal responsibility is definitely a strong characteristic of many great leaders!

1. breydanblog says:

2. CarmenHappyMe says:

cool way of taking about something that really serious… Personal responsibility is a to be taken seriously. Often taken for granted, that’s why leaders stand out.

3. rkakuda says: